Wednesday, March 16, 2011

One-Handed Takeoff

We arrived at trapeze school Sunday afternoon still sore from our previous class, but ready to learn something new.  Our teacher for the day decided that a good next step for both of us would be the one-handed takeoff.  This is a basic building block that a flyer needs to master before moving on to more advanced tricks, and provides more independence up on the platform.

After a few warm-up swings, we learned the mechanics of the one-handed takeoff.  Grab the bar with one hand, bend your knees and simultaneously dip the bar down, then swing it up to parallel as you hop off the platform and grab for the bar at the same time.  It is a little bit terrifying the first few times, and then eventually feels completely natural.  Here's what it looks like.  I'm doing the whip again so that I don't have to work on two new things at the same time..



Margaret caught her straddle whip at this class.  Here's her catch, along with the one-handed takeoff.


In general, this class was not quite as much fun as our first one.  It was full, so the pace was a bit slower, and while we did learn a new technique, it was somehow less satisfying than learning a new trick.  It probably didn't help that I was very sore and also that I didn't make either of my catches...  But it was really helpful to learn the one-handed takeoff and by the next class I felt completely comfortable with it.  And I'm glad that I had a chance to practice my whip a few more times.  That trick is my current favorite.

No comments: