Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Nubbins

Last night, we went to a reading at Powell's to see Heather Armstrong, creater of dooce.com, one of our favorite blogs. Heather read a couple of passages from her new book and answered questions. We loved seeing her. The title of this post refers to Heather's category for a quick post about something that happened recently. As it turns out, I have a few things that fit the bill.

Last night was a big night for me. Jude managed to move from one part of the floor to another for the first time. E Ben has had a few "wow" moments with Jude, but this was my first big one. We were all sitting in the laundry room. Jude was on the floor playing on his tummy and E Ben and I were chatting while I was folding laundry. Every once in a while I'd look over at Jude and he'd be in the crawl position with a huge grin on his face. Before we knew it, he had scooted backwards about 10 feet and was almost in his nursery. Then he got overwhelmed (maybe by his accomplishment?) and needed to be held for the next half hour. I loved it.

After our Powell's date, we went out to dinner at Ristorante Roma. For our Portland readers, we highly recommend this place as the most authentic Italian food we've had in our city. After a great meal of salad, pastas, and Straccetti, we vowed to return soon.

Finally, a word on health. Last Thursday I had a scary experience. I was feeding Jude his evening meal of winter squash when I started feeling funny. E Ben took over the feeding job while I went to the bathroom. The next thing I knew, I was lying on the ground and E Ben was screaming in my ear. I guess he heard a thud, called my name, and then when I didn't answer, he ran into the bathroom to check on me only to find me sprawled across the floor. Other than a few bruises, I seem to have emerged unscathed from this experience, but it was scary. What if I fainted while carrying Jude down the stairs? I hate to even think about it. My sister reminded me that I had a similar experience in Hawaii last year when I was about a month pregnant with Jude. We spent a couple of days wondering if I might be pregnant again, so I ordered some tests which arrived over the weekend. Negative. *sigh of relief*

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'm so glad you're ok, very scary. I have heard of that book before so thanks for the author's blog link, looks like a fun read. Also, congrats on Jude's first 1/2 word "Da" and increasing movement.